Journal of Dementia, Vol 28, No 6
Create moments of relaxation and connection with HUG
HUG is a sensory product designed for people living with dementia. Its weighted limbs and heartbeat bring comfort and calm.
$189.95 per unit
An award-winning innovation
What is HUG?
HUG is a weighted plush doll that comforts, engages, and brings joy to older adults living with dementia. It assists healthcare professionals in caring for individuals who exhibit responsive and reactive behaviors such as agitation, wandering, and restlessness.
$189.95 per unit
Weighted limbs to feel hugged
Beating heart and music player
Soft body and comforting texture
How HUG helps your memory care team
Provides comfort, reducing anxiety and agitation
Improves communication and initiating conversations with staff
Modifies distressing behaviors (tapping, shouting, crying)
Share the Knowledge: Downloadable Resources
Discover resources to learn more and share with your team
An Introduction to HUG: A PowerPoint Presentation
Sometimes, a HUG is all you need: A Study
High quality of care. High impact.
Of residents who had a HUG for six months improved their wellbeing
Two evolution studies took place:
- In a residential care home
- In a hospital (in patient dementia ward and stroke rehabilitation unit)
A glimpse into the magic of the HUG
Meet the creator of HUG
Cathy Treadaway is a world leader in the design field for advanced dementia and the creator of the compassionate design approach. She designed HUG and the LAUGH research project at the Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Endorsed by professionals
- Dimensions: +/- 17.7 x 13.8 x 6.29 in | 45 × 35 × 16 cm
- Weight: 3.5 lbs | 1.6 kg
- Connectivity: Bluetooth
- Color: white (To easily see when wash is needed)
- Manufacturer: L.A.U.G.H.
- Electronic unit (heartbeat and music player)
- Charging cable
- Mesh washing bag
- Canvas bag
- Product design is supported by research and a partnership with the Alzheimer's Society.
- Built-in heartbeat with adjustable intensity
- Rechargeable MP3 music player (bluetooth connectivity)
- Weighted limbs
- Machine washable
Follow these steps to clean the HUG:
- Remove the electronics unit (side zip).
- Take out the inner cushion and spray it clean with disinfectant.
- Place the outer cover in the provided mesh bag.
- Wash the cover in the washing machine using the delicate cycle.
- Let the HUG dry naturally and do not iron.
HUG instructions and care guideDownload(Opens in a new window)
This item is final sale for hygienic reasons. Read our complete return policy.
Buy a HUG - The Comforting Companion
$189.95 per unitBuy now